Job Description Introduction:
Main objective of the evaluation:
- Catholic Relief Services (CRS) carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas.
- The scope of CRS Ghana?s development assistance has varied over time with program activities in Education, Health, Agriculture, HIV and AIDS, Conflict Resolution, Microfinance and Water and Sanitation.
- CRS has reached millions of Ghanaians, particularly women and children with development assistance over the agency?s history in Ghana.
- CRS implemented the ISHINE Project as part of its WASH programming with funding from the US based Helmsley Charitable Trust (HCT) Foundation.
- The HCT awarded funding to CRS to implement the ISHINE project in collaboration with Ghana Education Services and Ghana Health Services partners between 1st January 2014 to 30th June 2017.
- Following the three and a half-year implementation of the Project, CRS Ghana seeks the services of a consultant to conduct an end line evaluation study for the project.
- This Scope of Work (SOW) describes the role and responsibilities of the consultant.
Main Tasks of the Consultancy:
- The main objective of the evaluation is to establish current community and school facility level end line results on knowledge, access, utilization and provision of WASH services in the ISHINE Project districts, in relation to the regional and national situation.
- The findings will be consolidated to establish a comprehensive understanding on WASH in schools and CLTS across the project districts.
- The end line evaluation findings will be used to assess changes within each project area, as per indicators set out in the original results frame.
Required Skills or Experience
- The consultant(s) will work in conjunction with the Catholic Relief Services? WASH Program Manager and the ISHINE Project Coordinator, the ISHINE MEAL Specialist to finalize the design and plan for the study. The consultant is expected to undertake the following tasks:
- Develop a proposal, detailing the evaluation design, methodology, indicators, tools, work plan schedule and budget to carry out the assignment in the project districts. This will be developed and finalized in consultation with the ISHINE team in Catholic Relief Services.
- Carry out a desk-review of relevant project documents (to be provided upon signing the contract.
- Facilitate training of field staff (supervisors, interviewers, observers/record reviewers) and pre-testing of data collection tools.
- Finalize work plan and lead field data collection, data entry into a suitable platform, data cleaning, data analysis, and interpret and synthesize survey findings
- Develop and submit the first draft of the end line evaluation study report and debriefing to Catholic Relief Services, Ghana Health Services and Ghana Education Services.
- The lead consultant will be required to facilitate participatory reflection at a sitting with key project staff, partners and stakeholders to discuss the findings, identify learning and recommendations and develop an after-action plan based on the result of the end line evaluation.
- Finalize and submit the evaluation report together with cleaned copies of raw data (both qualitative and quantitative, and data collection tools used in the evaluation.
- The lead consultant and his/her team are expected to hold the following qualifications to be eligible for this call:
- A recognized university degree in Development Studies, public health, international development, medical anthropology or related social science (at a minimum of Masters level) as well as professional qualifications in project management
- At least 8 years progressive experience in WASH and education sector, especially basic education in the development context.
- Good knowledge of the institutional framework for WASH services in Ghana, including sustainability issues, decentralization policies and private sector participation.
- Experience in the formulation, monitoring and evaluation of projects in WASH in schools and CLTS.
- Should be highly familiar with evaluation design methodologies, performance measurement, quantitative and qualitative data collection and analysis
- Demonstrated a high level of professionalism and an ability to work independently under tight deadlines.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- High proficiency in written and spoken English
- Proficiency in the use of mobile data collection platform. Preferably IFORM builder or Commcare.